Getting to grips with OpenForge – part 4

Let’s quickly address my idea about using a wall base to put a door frame on. It seems to work, but I printed both the door frame and the door with support – thinking that it was required – and the end result was really rough.

I’ll try and print them without support later to give it a proper try.

I might be too cutting edge

Seeing that I’m making very little progress on the cut-stone set I decided to take a look at the other sets, more precisely dungeon stone and rough stone. They both have the same incompatible types of assets as the cut-stone set, with one major difference – they don’t seem to have any sort of “separate wall” update.

This makes me think that the reason I’m having such a horrible time figuring out OpenForge is because the “separate wall” update of cut-stone, the one I’m using as a reference, is actually the odd one out. None of the other sets seem to have this specific collection of assets.

If I’d have to wager a guess, I’d say that the “separate wall” update to cut-stone is OpenForge 3.0. All the other assets are actual 2.0, meaning that in order to move forward with my cut-stone set I’m going to have to print the “incompatible” combined wall and floor tiles.

This theory is confirmed by looking at some of the latest assets from Devon for the cut-stone set. This set of archways was released late June 2019 and they are constructed the same way as the (formerly) odd walls, windows and doors for this set.

I can still use all my floors, which is good because I’m printing four more “E” size as I type this, but I’m pretty sure I’ll have to scrap my walls. I’ve been doing some tinkering with how to attach floors to bases but I think I can make this work for a floor + wall combination.

OpenForge and OpenLock are not the same

For some of you this is obvious but I just found out, as it often seems to be, from information contained within a collection on Thingiverse.

I’m going to be working on this set doing releases for OpenForge 2.0 and OpenLOCK concurrently. OpenLOCK requires a lot of extra work, so likely the classic OpenForge 2.0 set will make it out first, defining the shapes, and then the equivelent OpenLOCK set will come out right after.

From the OpenForge 2.0 Rough Stone Floor collection

I understand that OpenForge is the name of the project Devon started and that OpenLock is a non-proprietary connection method, the thing that doesn’t make sense is that there are two different versions of an asset for OpenForge and OpenLock.

I can’t really figure out why, either. There are eight connection options listed in the instructions for sets and OpenForge isn’t among them:

  • magnetic – has holes for 5mm magnets on edges
  • openlock – has openlock clip holes at vertices
  • magnetic.openlock – has openlock clip holes at vertices and holes for 5mm magnets on edges
  • triplex – has openlock clip holes at edges and vertices
  • infinitylock – has infinitylock clip holes at edges and vertices
  • magnetic.infinitylock – has infinitylock clip holes at vertices and holes for 5mm magnets at edges
  • dragonlock – has dragonbite clip holes at vertices
  • magnetic.dragonlock – has dragonbite clip holes at vertices and holes for 5mm magnets at edges

The set instructions was updated the 19th of August 2019 and the rough stone collection the 16th of May 2018 so my best guess is that there at some point was a difference between OpenForge and OpenLock. Maybe?

What now?

I’ll be printing a bunch of walls, the tutorial recommends fourteen, and if that works out I’ll print some doors and windows.

In parallel with this I’ll start painting the assets as lime neon green is not a very immersive choice of color for a DnD session. I’ve already painted some floors with primer to see what print quality I need to go with in order to have enough detail without requiring 12 hour prints for the most basic of assets.

Devon has a number of painting tutorials on GitHub and there are tons more on YouTube if you prefer to look there instead. I personally like what Black Magic Craft is doing.

That’s it for the moment

This update is a lot shorter than I had intended but that’s the nature of these “exploratory” posts, you never now what you’ll find when you start writing and researching.

My next post will be up on Monday at the earliest as I need some time to print the walls, windows and doors. That post will most likely be the last in this series as I feel I’ve reached some sort of conclusion. Maybe I’ll write a stand-alone post with my findings as well as an analysis of why this is a lot harder than it needs to be.

Thanks for reading.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s